Monday, July 31, 2006

Grandmother's garden held treasures

Her garden was delightful.
Pansies lined the rose bed
dahlias leaned one side of the fence
and six foot sun flowers
the other. Down
the back was an old tree,
branches dead underneath.
I used to sit in there, in
my imaginary house
where the sun streamed
in and lit the words
on the pages of my books
until they flared to life
transporting me to islands,
caves and castles. I was
a damsel desiring her knight,
a queen captured by a pirate
but most of all, I was somebody
in a world that had forgotten
I was me.

1 comment:

Sailor said...

I'm undecided whether I love this one, or hate it- because it does such a nice job evoking the childhood escapes, I love it- but because it makes me realize the escapes are mythical, I hate it! LOL

Excellent, very nice setup for the little twist.